The nerves on my wedding day were… strange. At the time, I honestly did not feel nervous. BUT, I think the truth of the matter is that my adrenaline and excitement masked everything else. I was probably more nervous than I’ve ever been. But it just didn’t register as nerves.
How do I know I was nervous? The first evidence was my lack of appetite. I had to force myself to eat a bagel while I was getting ready with the girls. While I normally love food, this bagel was not enjoyable. At all. Then before the ceremony, when my MOH’s mother had brought us all delicious snacks, the idea of eating anything sounded like a horrible idea. I managed a few grapes. At dinner, I ate a few bites but truthfully didn’t feel hungry the whole evening. All I can figure is that I was too nervous to eat.
The next evidence came near the end of the photo-taking extravaganza. Brenda was just suggesting that I go take some solo photos near the beautiful rose bush outside the reception barn. Somehow, my dad had materialized by the house where all the girls were standing. Brenda, ever the creative thinker, suggested my dad and I walk ahead and she would grab some pictures.
My dad and I had the following conversation:
Dad: “How are you feeling?”
Miss Blue Whale: “I feel great.”
Dad: “Are you nervous?”
Miss Blue Whale: “Nope. It’s surprising, but I just really don’t feel nervous.”
Dad: “Are you sure?”
Miss Blue Whale: “Yep. I’m sure. Why?”
Dad: “You’re shaking.”
Okay, maybe I was nervous. Looking back on the day, all evidence points to the fact that Miss Blue Whale was a bundle of nerves. But like I said, I didn’t feel nervous… Suffice to say, the emotions on your wedding day will be all over the place. They might even be so crazy that you literally don’t know what you’re feeling.
Luckily, my dad chose that moment we were together to be an awesome dad and exactly what I needed. While I don’t remember the exactly words, it was something along the lines of, “You look beautiful. I’m very proud of you. You don’t need to be nervous.”
My dad is a man of few words. He’s not very emotional. But he always seems to know exactly what to do when the pressure is on. He took my hand, and we walked the last few steps up the path hand in hand.
The moment was completely unexpected. I hadn’t planned to spend those minutes with my dad. But it was one of the best moments of the day.
*All photos by the amazingly talented Brenda Upton Photography.
If you missed any part of this whale of a tale, get caught up here. Previously…
- My underwear was nabbed by the underwear bandit.
- We did last minute errands in Atlanta, then drove to Blairsville, where I had an emotional moment in the courthouse getting our marriage license.
- I got emotional at our rehearsal. Then it was off to bed, where my Ambien caused some unexpected weirdness.
- I awoke on my wedding day, and headed off to get ready with my bridesmaids (and give them some gifts!)
- My braided hairstyle was everything I ever dreamed of.
- After putting on my veil, it was time to head over to where I was getting married!!
- The bridesmaids got dressed, and then I got dressed!!
- I showed off my accessories, which featured turquoise tights, a fab hair flower, and a bright pink crinoline!
- The bridesmaids and I took some super fun photos, and then I took some solo shots.