I promise I’m not trying to drag out my ceremony posts. But truly, the ceremony was absolutely one-hundred percent the most important part of the day for us. And it was definitely my favorite part of the day. So bear with me as I bring you one last post about our ceremony (and a really awesome song that you don’t want to miss!).
Last time, I shared with you our vows. With those done, I couldn’t believe that our wedding ceremony was almost over. It seemed to fly by. Before I knew it, Mike was handing me a ring, and I was ready to put it on Mr. Whale’s finger.
We decided on the wording of the ring exchange just two days before the ceremony. And we also decided that we wanted to say the words ourselves, with no prompting from Mike. Mr. Whale decided I should give him his ring first since he said his vows first. That meant it was up to me to remember what we were supposed to say with the rings! Luckily, I remembered. (And luckily, I went first, because Mr. Whale told me he couldn’t quite remember until he heard me say it.) 🙂
“Matt, I give you this ring as a gift to wear with joy. I choose you to be my husband today and forever.”
“Erin, I give you this ring as a gift to wear with joy. I choose you to be my wife today and forever.”
And now, it was time for one of our favorite moments. It was time to hear the song Mr. Whale had written for me. We had tossed around the idea of him playing it and singing it at the ceremony, but he was certain that he wouldn’t make it through without crying. So instead, he recorded it, and we played it over the sound system.
Take a listen. The song is called “Enfolded”.
(See Rule Five is our band, in case you’re wondering 🙂 Eventually, I think we’ll get a full instrument version going on. For now, it’s just Mr. Whale.)
At the conclusion of the song, Mike declared us husband and wife. And it was time for the kiss!!
As we broke apart, the first notes of Gotye’s “I Feel Better” blasted out (best recessional song ever!), and we happily headed back down the aisle!
This would be the moment right before I tripped over my dress and almost face planted in the aisle. A guest photo captures it rather well:
It was almost disaster, but I laughed it off and whispered to Mr. Whale that we had to slow down, because I couldn’t move very quickly in my monstrosity of a dress.
Our photographer yelled, “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” So we happily obliged.
Then we decided we really liked this kissing business, so we kept doing it and got passed up by the bridesmaids on the way out. If you look very carefully in the photo below, you can see what you might think is my foot, but it actually belongs to a bridesmaid.
And that’s our ceremony!! It was everything we dreamed of and more.
*All photos by the fantastically incredible Brenda Upton Photography unless otherwise noted.
If you missed any part of this whale of a tale, get caught up here. Previously…
- My underwear was nabbed by the underwear bandit.
- We did last minute errands in Atlanta, then drove to Blairsville, where I had an emotional moment in the courthouse getting our marriage license.
- I got emotional at our rehearsal. Then it was off to bed, where my Ambien caused some unexpected weirdness.
- I awoke on my wedding day, and headed off to get ready with my bridesmaids (and give them some gifts!)
- My braided hairstyle was everything I ever dreamed of.
- After putting on my veil, it was time to head over to where I was getting married!!
- The bridesmaids got dressed, and then I got dressed!!
- I showed off my accessories, which featured turquoise tights, a fab hair flower, and a bright pink crinoline!
- The bridesmaids and I took some super fun photos, and then I took some solo shots. And then the guys got in on the photo fun.
- I squealed with excitement over our wedding video sneak peek.
- The girls feasted on snacks while the guys panicked.
- We processed in and began the ceremony.
- We said our vows.