At the end of the toasts, Mr. Whale and I had a special surprise for our guests. We both love the song “The Luckiest” by Ben Folds. (It’s so good, right?) We almost had it somewhere else in our wedding. But… Mr. Whale bought me the piano sheet music as a gift several months before the wedding. And so, it just made sense that we should play it ourselves at the wedding.
I was pretty excited to get up there and play…
Mr. Whale said a few words first. And they might be some of my favorite words spoken at the wedding. (Okay, I have a “favorite moment” just about every 10 minutes. But I can’t choose!! They’re all my favorite.)
“I know everyone says this is the happiest day of their lives. But I’ve been on awesome roller coasters and been to the Mexican beaches, all in the last year, and this is the funnest thing I’ve ever done. Is that normal??”
He got a lot of laughs and some head nods that it is pretty normal 🙂 Then he said some other nice things and basically set us up to play the song.
(Please don’t judge us too hard if you watch the video. I haz feelingz too… We didn’t have any opportunity to practice once we got to Georgia, so I hadn’t played any piano at all in almost a week. And Matt hadn’t sung at all the whole day! (Though I think he still sounds wonderful, as usual.))
If you don’t know the song, I’ll take you through the lyrics here.
I don’t get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns
The stumbles and falls brought me here
And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it every day
And I know
That I am
What if I’d been born 50 years before you
In a house on the street where you live?
Maybe I’d be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?
And in a wide sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know
That I am
I love you more than I have
Ever found a way to say to you
Next door there’s an old man who lived to his 90s
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife, she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away
I’m sorry, I know that’s
A strange way to tell you
That I know we belong
That I know
That I am
If you’ve watched the video, you got to see the hilarious ending to the song. Everything was so touching, and then I wailed on a horribly wrong note at the very end (literally, the very last note). But apparently, all our guests thought it was hilarious. And some people even thought we planned it!! (I don’t know what that says about the quality of our playing…)
All in all, I’m pretty happy we decided to include it in our reception. I thought it was time to move on to the dance party portion of the reception, but there was one more thing that took me by surprise. Stay tuned to find out what.
If you missed any part of this whale of a tale, get caught up here. Previously…
- My underwear was nabbed by the underwear bandit.
- We did last minute errands in Atlanta, then drove to Blairsville, where I had an emotional moment in the courthouse getting our marriage license.
- I got emotional at our rehearsal. Then it was off to bed, where my Ambien caused some unexpected weirdness.
- I awoke on my wedding day, and headed off to get ready with my bridesmaids (and give them some gifts!)
- My braided hairstyle was everything I ever dreamed of.
- After putting on my veil, it was time to head over to where I was getting married!!
- The bridesmaids got dressed, and then I got dressed!!
- I showed off my accessories, which featured turquoise tights, a fab hair flower, and a bright pink crinoline!
- The bridesmaids and I took some super fun photos, and then I took some solo shots. And then the guys got in on the photo fun.
- I squealed with excitement over our wedding video sneak peek.
- The girls feasted on snacks while the guys panicked.
- We processed in, and Mike began our ceremony. We said our vows (which were written on our manatee cards), exchanged rings, and Mr. Whale sang a special song.
- I hugged some people, even though I felt awkward. Then we moved on to family photos.
- The wedding party posed, jumped, and ran! Mr. Whale and I took some pictures together.
- We kicked the reception off with some Montell Jordan and Van Halen! Then we chowed down on dinner and cake.
- We heard some musical toasts and then toasts from my dad, the best man, and the maid of honor.