This post is all about the “typical”, “traditional”, or “trendy” stuff that we chose to skip at our wedding. For the most part, our decisions turned out great. As a disclaimer, I feel the need to say that these decisions made sense for us. They might not make sense for everyone. But if you’re thinking about skipping something and wondering whether you’ll regret it, well then hopefully this will reassure you that some stuff can definitely be skipped.
Of course, there were just a few things that I would have done differently if I knew then what I know now. My next post will be about the few things that I wish I could change, but let’s do the good news first, shall we? So what did I skip and not miss at all?
- A First Look: This could be the subject of an entire post. But I’ll try to sum it up here. We didn’t have a first look, and I am 100% happy with that choice. However, for those of you out there still unsure, know that I don’t think that having a first look would have a negative impact on the feeling that you have as you walk down the aisle. I know some brides are worried about that. But the aisle moment is just special. I can’t say for sure, but I think it would be just as special whether or not you have a first look. What I’m trying to say is: We had plenty of time for photos after the ceremony. I love the way our day went. But if you want extra photos and you’re worried that you’ll ruin everything by seeing each other before the ceremony, I don’t think you need to be worried.
- Professional Make-up: Our photographer asked me who did my make-up and was impressed that I’d done it myself. Score! 🙂
- Ceremony decorations: The beautiful scenery was enough for us!
- Out-of-town bags: Maybe a guest missed them, but I don’t think so.
- Bathroom baskets: Totally not missed.
- Bouquet and Garter Toss: I literally didn’t think of these until weeks after the wedding, and no guests ever brought it up. I don’t think a soul noticed that they didn’t happen.
- Pro-pics of getting my hair and make-up done If you can’t afford to have these, don’t stress. I don’t mind at all that I don’t have them.
- A big cake Our cupcakes were so freaking delicious. And easy to eat… And didn’t require serving…
- A Signature Scent: I don’t wear perfume unless I think I smell bad. It seemed weird to start now.
- A Big Sparkler Exit: Pinterest convinced us all that anyone can have those fabulous sparkler exit photos. But as the big day got closer, I realized most of those photos don’t turn out that great. So I nixed it. We just had a few sparkler pictures taken.
- A Getaway Car: It just seemed excessive. We had a barn reception and were driving two miles through the country back to our cabin. There didn’t seem to be a point.
Are there any typical, traditional, or trendy things that you skipped that you didn’t miss at all?